From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:12:20 MDT
Ken,

>Since not everyone reads links, I thought I would at least post a segment
>from
>the article, although I strongly recommend everyone read it - it explains a
>lot
>- both about health and about the politics of diet.

Thanks!  Love this intro and look forward to reading the whole article.  It
does, indeed, shed light on many misconceptions and makes me feel that much
better about what I'm doing to maintain good health.
Speaking of which, I'd like to publicly thank Rachel Matesz for private
consultation.  I've tweaked my diet here and there and I think I'm
definitely going in the right direction.

In short, I've increased my carbs (only good ones, of course) but I'm still
in ketosis.  In other words, I think they're 'fueling my fire' better than
an ultra low-carb intake did.  I'm also in the process of eliminating all
meats with hormones.  I still have some beef in the fridge (not much) and,
frankly, I can't afford NOT to eat it at the moment.  I've also started to
take some supplements available at a health food store near you.  I'm
lifting weights three times a week and putting in two or three good walks,
bike rides or dips in the pool on top of that.  Would more be better?  Yes,
but starting slow is the best way to go; too much too soon is a definite
turnoff.

And I know SOME people out there will be suggesting I get wild game but,
once again, I can't afford it.  You CAN, however, get hormone free meats and
fish at mainstream grocery stores.  Tyson chicken has no hormones.  Safeway
has thier own brand of hormone free eggs.  Tyson cornish game hens are now
on sale for just .99 a pound.  The list goes on and on.  Yes, wild game,
fish and fowl would be nice but if I can do no more than eliminate hormones,
I've come a long way.  Yes, I'm wasting valuable time defending myself, but
I'm a little tired of cyber-hand grenades being lobbed a little too
liberally from time to time.  I firmly believe in giving credit where it's
due.

And on that note, thanks again, Rachel!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO