Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:39:15 +0100
Dori Zook wrote -
<<My question is, what's the best way to get dee-expletive-liscious chicken broth?  I'm craving hearty soups since Autumn has fallen and just can't justify using that canned stuff -- bleah!>>

Dori,
get about 3-4 lb. chicken carcasses, incl. feet if you can get them, hearts and necks, put in a large stock type pot, cover with water, add one large onion [peeled], 2-3 carrots, peeled and quartered, 2-3 celery stalks or even better a large chunk of celeriac [peeled] 1-2 cloves garlic [skinned, slightly crushed] a few whole black peppercorns, a bay leaf and squeeze some lemon juice.... leave for an hour, covered...  the acidulated liquid will draw more minerals from the bones.... then, bring to the boil and skim all the unpleasant looking scum which rises to the top... when there's no more scum, cover and simmer on the lowest flame/heat possible for anything up to 12 hours !!! if you want to eat the meat, lift the carcasses after 2 hours, remove meat and put the carcasses/bones back in the pot to cook for the rest of the allotted time.... you can add some sea salt if you use it....

remove ALL veg, bones etc. from liquid [I just eat the veggies]... strain broth through a fine sieve lined with some fine cloth [I sacrificed a hanky for this purpose].... divide the broth, when cool enough, into measured portions and freeze [how paleo :-)] away for future use.

Good luck,

Dedy