Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:27:50 -0500
>NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Researchers have identified a small protein in
>liver cells that may help convert excess dietary carbohydrates into fat
>stores. They hope that the finding will lead to the development of
>obesity-fighting drugs that inhibit the actions of this protein.

Here in Dallas, a few days ago, a local TV news station did a story that
started out with a dire warning about the epidemic of obesity among
teenagers ... and then turned out to be about how to buy more flattering
fashions for "larger" kids, to help their self-esteem!  How disgusting.  I
may have to write them an angry letter about that, unless Ray's beaten me
to it :^) ...

I do think that "we" are winning the battle, long-term.  The general public
is starting to notice that the govt.'s recommendations aren't
working.  Almost every week there seems to be a story in the mainstream
media that leans in the paleo direction, or at least endorses some part of
it, and criticizes the USDA pyramid.