From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:04:13 -0400
Rachel,
thanks for your information on that book.
Meanwhile i ordered it and will take a look myself.
Your point of view will be a valuable add on.
(actually i think that i'll print out any critiques on a book
and insert it into the book, for reference)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:49:59 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I myself gained weight when I tried that approach and I was not doing the
>desserts--I was eating brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoes, yams, winter
>squash, roots, leafy greens plus fish, fowl, eggs, butter or ghee, olive
>oil, nuts, etc.
>
>I cannot be free with the fats and the starchy things at the same time,
>even
>if they are whole foods, even if the grains and beans are soaked and the
>breads are fermented, and even if the rich desserts are omitted.

hmhm
These are whole foods, ..
except butter, olive oil and sweets.
Because the latter are extractions of the energy parts of some food
(milk, olives ..).
If you regard the protein to come per daily kcal
then you can only include so much of it until a ratio of
about 100% protein for the daily kcal is reached.
Otherwise you have to eat moooore kcal to reach the protein.

Vegetables, Grains, tubers have a slight over-protein of 150-300%, and
can stand a little added oil.
To have the wonderful other benefits of these sources.

With meats its the opposite, because they are so low on energy
(about 700% protein or 1/7 of energy)
Sot you *have to* carefully equal out them with adding pure extracted
energy forms like oils or other fats.
Or sweets like most westerners do.

The same as the protein ratio (per kcal) will show up on any other
essential stuff. Especially vitamins.
(Cravings and eating until a minimum is reached).

> She recommends that you use RAW dairy foods,...
That will elevate the vitamins per kcal...
and of course not destroy some particular beneficial stuff (like CLA).

>.. CAUTION: Fallon's book also contains a lot (70 or more) recipes, mostly
>fancy desserts, calling for Sucanat.  Many people who are new to Fallon's
>book have told me they went straight for the desserts.  Sucanat is
>presented as a healthy sweetener. ..

Strange idea to promote sweet desserts.
The appetite for a dessert should only emerge on energy-low foods
(like meat or cheese). Or Carbohydrate low foods as some carbs are required.
Or for people in the glucose/insulin/hypoglycemie vicious circle.

>  Sucanat does not provide any signficicant
>amount of vitamins or minerals in a reasonable serving----it is a highly
>concentrated, displacing food that crowds out vegetables and fresh fruits
>which are MORE NUTRITIOUS.

Exactely so, IMHO.
Sweets (like all other carbs) have the additional pitfall with them,
that they need (and use up) the energy vitamins. Which are necessary
to allow the Krebs Cycle (Citric acid Cycle) to deliver any energy.

Important as energy vitamins are thiamin (vitamin b1), b2, niacin, C.
Especially the first one (thiamin) is critical.
It is not stable against cooking and storage and has only
rather low reserves in the body (17 days maximum).

Extracted carbs (like sweets and flour extractions) need not only
a protein high equal-out (like with oils above).
They need additional energy vitamins.
Otherwise only the pathway for storage as fat is left.

The only natural source of energy-vitamins w/o additional carbs
i am aware of is yeast (brewers yeast).
Is is likewise a very high protein source, btw.

Rachel, i know that you know most or all of these facts,
with your history.

Somehow your posting inspired me to outline for short my holistic
approach with considering the whole food composition,
(including macronutrients and micronutrients).

Thanks for your book information anyway.

regards

Amadeus S.