From:
Tracy Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:34:41 EDT
I found this very interesting about the food pyramid.  I was unaware that it
was getting a "face lift".  The whole article is pretty interesting too.

From "Time Magazine: Cracking the Fat Riddle"

"So what would an optimal postmodern diet look like? Chances are it wouldn't
look like the food pyramid, the official government guidelines released by
the USDA in 1992. Indeed, the food pyramid is due for an overhaul in 2003—
although no one is yet willing to give any details. If Harvard's Willett has
his way, the pyramid will make a greater distinction between the types of
fats and carbs we should and shouldn't eat. Willett, unlike the USDA, does
not lump most carbohydrates at the pyramid's base or all fats at the
pyramid's eat-sparingly pinnacle. In fact, Willett places good fats—those
from vegetables and fish—at the base and good carbohydrates—from whole-grain
versions of bread and pasta—side by side at the base. Carbohydrates with a
high glycemic load join saturated fats at the top."

Read the whole article at:
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020902/story2.html

Tracy