From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 08:54:30 -0400
Alan Jones wrote:

> I've read many references to the fact that Paleo man had a much higher
> variety of food in his diet (as compared to the SAD), and that a lack of
> variety in our diet can lead to sensitivities and allergies.
>
> I would assume that Paleo man's diet varied mainly by season, but varied
> much less on a daily or weekly basis.  IOW, if we could look at a typical
> day or week of eating for a Paleo man, the variety would be very small for
> those relatively small snapshots in time.
>
> For example, after killing a large animal, I assume they'd simply gorge on
> the body of that animal.  Perhaps more than one "meal"?  When they found
> a nice patch of ripe blueberries, they'd gorge on that also?

On the other hand, while gorging on the body of that animal, they would
not just be eating muscle meat the way we usually do. They would also be
eating brain, thymus, thyroid, liver, kidney, eyeballs, tongue,
adrenals, entrails, and more. They might occasionally find a large
growth of a particular plant, such as blueberries. But I have the
impression that the usual process was for the women to go out on
gathering hikes on which they would collect smaller amounts of a variety
of plants. In most places you go, I think you can find a huge variety of
edible plants within a few miles radius.