From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:35:14 +0100
Re paleofood rules:- Would it be OK to allow 6 or 7 max posts a day. I noticed that there's a 5-post limit, and if I make a mistake and ruin a post(I think I made at least 2 in 1 day in the last couple of days due to poor software or whatever), I tend to reach that upper limit too fast.

Re pemmican comment:- I'm always amazed at why anyone can recommend pemmican. The whole point of the healthy foods movement is to stay well away from any preserved foods which last for decades, as there's a standard rule that the longer the shelf-life of a food , the lower its quality will always be. Pemmican is really no different in this regard from all those processed junk foods designed to last  years and years on the supermarket shelf.

Re comment:- "Starvation/malnutrition also leaves telltale marks on the bones as well"

As I showed in a recent post, there were indeed examples of telltale marks of starvation on palaeo bones:-
I made that point re famine as it's commonly accepted by palaeoanthropologists that famine was a routine part of the palaeolithic era:-

"Combined with a relatively low average age at death, the hypoplasia evidence suggests that Neandertals underwent periods of nutritional stress or famine on a frequent basis "  taken from:-

http://www.pnas.org/content/98/19/10972.full

Re comment on AGEs:- "AGE's require glucose and oxidization. Many studies implicating
> cooking/fried foods included high amounts of PUFA's and/or other
> 'modern' foods including foods that break down to glucose."

This is very misleading. AGEs do NOT just require glucose. That applies to only 1 type of AGE. There is also another category of AGEs, known as "ALEs"(="Advanced  Lipoxidation Endproducts") which involve the oxidation of fats and don't require glucose:-

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1067029/advanced_glycation_and_lipoxidation_end_productsamplifiers_of_inflammation_the_role/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/lh93vt

The term "ALEs" is less used, though with the term "AGEs" being more frequently used to describe both glycation and lipid peroxidation.

Re comment:- "Many studies implicating
> cooking/fried foods included high amounts of PUFA's and/or other
> 'modern' foods including foods that break down to glucose."

The above statement is false. For one thing here's a study which shows that a food, e very  high in saturated fat(ie pasteurised butter) has one of the highest levels of AGEs of any cooked food(it was cooked on its own without other foods present):-

http://www.newcastleyoga.com.au/links/Food%20AGEs%20text.pdf

Interestingly, it's been pointed out that the reason why so many
studies (correctly) report harmful results from eating diets high in saturated fats may be
primarily due, not to the issue of saturated fats per se, but  to the fact that such diets are also very high in heat-created toxins, resulting
from cooking, such as AGEs/ALEs(in other words, raw saturated fats are fine but not cooked saturated fats)):-

"It has been suggested that, "given the prominence of this type of food in the
human diet, the deleterious effects of high-(saturated)fat foods may be in part
due to the high content in glycotoxins, above and beyond those due to oxidized
fatty acid derivatives."  The glycotoxins, as he called them, are more
commonly called AGEs:-

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=21074

Incidentally, the foods with the highest levels of AGEs/ALEs are cooked meat, bread and pasteurised dairy.

Geoff
> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:28:50 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Joint pains etc.
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> What Brad said. Thank you, Brad.
>
> Starvation/malnutrition also leaves telltale marks on the bones as well.
>
> RE: caloric restriction -- restricting calories also happens to lower
> insulin levels, which brings about all sorts of wonderful health
> benefits. :) I imagine HG's would have had low insulin levels to begin
> with, since their diets were low in glucose (carbs), in relation to us folk.
>
> http://andersonclan.us/andersonclan_top/ages.html
> "Glycation occurs when a reducing sugar molecule bonds to a protein or
> lipid (fatty acid) molecule without the controlling action of an enzyme
> which would normally control where the sugar bonds and its orientation.
> This puts the sugar molecule in the “wrong place,” on the protein or
> lipid molecule, thus forming a mis-shaped molecule our bodies cannot
> metabolize or dispose of easily."
>
> AGE's require glucose and oxidization. Many studies implicating
> cooking/fried foods included high amounts of PUFA's and/or other
> 'modern' foods including foods that break down to glucose.

MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/