From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:16:30 EDT
IBS is very much a physiological problem--it's just a different one from what
you describe.  The peristalsys becomes spastic rather than smooth.  This can
result in alternating constipation and diarrhea, or simply loose stools with
undigested food in it.  Note that food is mainly broken down for absorption
into the body in the small intestine--not the stomach.  Undigested food in
the stool is more about the speed of bowel emptying than the speed of stomach
emptying.

Since I have ulcerative colitus myself (with a spastic colon), I'm quite
familiar with these problems.  It's also worth pointing out that since being
largely paleo in my eating (I do cheat), my bowel problems have completely
gone away.

     - Sheryl

In a message dated 10/16/2001 1:53:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

So it'r rather mechanical than physiological problem
It probably also means faster than normal stomach empting mechanism.
I was taking large quantities of digestive enzymes with little effect so
maybe you're right.
Very interesting.

Paul Sand