From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:04:41 -0500
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:26:13 +0100, Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>IMO if weight loss plan is set up properly it shouldnt happen regardless of
>carb intake. if you set calories to low or try to loose weight to quickly
>sure it can happen.

Well, when I was following Atkins years ago, I sure as heck wasn't eating
too few calories with all the cheese and mayo I was eating in addition to
unrestricted amounts of steak, chicken, etc.  But I also experienced some
hypo symptoms back then. I'm not sure what you mean by setting
calories "too low" -- I do not try to restrict calories.

Perhaps you are just blessed with a higher metabolism in general and
therefore, when you restrict calories or lower carbs to very low levels,
any reduction in thyroid hormone is not enough to show up as abnormal on
labs or to create symptoms.  I'm not a big believer in lab tests for
thyroid -- symptoms are far more important.  I complained on this list
several years ago because of classic hypo thyroid symptom -- hair loss plus
other physical symptoms. I posted my menus, etc and nobody seemed to think
I was eating too little, etc.  Anyway, doctor after doctor said tests were
normal and therefore had no suggestions for me until I went to my present
doc ( he is a lowcarber for many many years and totally supports paleo type
diet) who said let's try a small trial of thyroid medicine because my
symptoms were classic low thyroid.  Within weeks, the hair loss stopped.