From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:17:30 -0800
Ashley,

I cook lots of stuff in those times when I'm doing other things
somewhere near the kitchen and can just give something a stir every 5-10
minutes without devoting much attention to it.  I saute up onions and
mushrooms, and keep them on hand.  It does take a bit of time to peel
the onion (I have an onion chopper that takes no 30 seconds to mince an
onion), or wash and slice the shrooms, but then I'm done with that task
for a week or more.  I also steam a green veggie while the onions are
sauteing.  I do a feast of a morning scramble with meat, onion,
mushroom, and veggies in it, and I take that to work with me.  I don't
like eating first thing in the morning, and don't want to take the time
then anyway.  I eat breakfast at work while reading my email in the morning.

I bake chicken a family pack at a time...put meat in pan, put pan in
oven, set timer, don't think about until timer goes off...lunches for
the week.  As for roasting, my indispensable kitchen tool is the
programmable meat thermometer.  You set the thermometer for the
temperature that you want to take the roast out of the oven, poke the
probe into the roast, put the roast in the oven, and when the thing
starts beeping, take the roast out.  The probe attaches by a thin,
flexible cable to the temperature setting/beeper part, which is magnetic
and sticks to the side of my stove.  No more checking on the roast, no
more overcooking because I got busy doing something else.  Wipe off the
probe and cable with a damp cloth after use, and it's ready to go
again.  It was a little pricey, but so worth it!

I very rarely eat food at the same time as I cook it.  Yep, that would
take more time out of my day than I'm willing to give.  But by doing
large batches of meat and veggies, I've always got stuff ready for quick
eating.  In the morning, while my scramble is cooking, I cut up meat for
lunch, add raw fruit or veggies, and I'm good to go for the day.  I keep
nuts at my desk.  If I have nuts, I often don't finish lunch, which then
becomes dinner.  Just as often, I eat enough earlier in the day that I'm
not hungry for dinner, so I just don't bother.

I am lucky in that I don't mind leftovers.  I live alone, but I can
finish a large batch of something over the course of several days.  If I
had to cook a full-fledged meal every day, I'd end up eating crappy
foods that my body doesn't handle well.  If eating through the day and
not eating after about 3 p.m. means I'm doing IF, then that's what I'm
doing most of the time.

But check out that programmable meat thermometer!  Simplifies roasting
considerably.

Lisa in Alaska