From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 11:13:09 -0600
Thought you might find interesting my latest statistics, nice ammo for
people who think what we're doing will give us heart attacks/make our
kidneys explode/yadda yadda yadda.

I've eaten a meat-packed, fat-filled, low-carb diet for 3.25 years (most of
this time as close to paleo as I can get but I started out still eating
dairy).  I got some bloodwork done and my cholesterol levels are better than
ever:

total chol       194
LDL ("bad" chol) 121
HDL (good chol)  65
triglycerides    40

This puts my TGL/HDL ratio at a mere .62 (down from .93 when I first made
the switch). A ratio of 2 is considered just fine (the lower this number the
better).  My coronary risk ratio is just 2.98 with the average risk range
3.34-4.21.  Except for that &#%@ number on the scale, I'm as healthy as a
horse.  I love the looks on the faces of people who think what I'm doing is
dangerous.  Of course, most people will say the total cholesterol figure is
bording on high, but we all know their eyes are brown.  My triglycerides
went down and my HDL up since my last tests, conducted after just 3 months
after going low-carb.  Unfortunately, I don't know where my cholesterol
started.  But in the old days, my blood pressure was 180/98.  It now
averages 100/70 so, clearly, my cholesterol was probably not too good back
then.

So, continue to eat like a caveman!  It'll do your heart good.  Anyone else
have nice statistics to share?

Technically, this is not paleo-related, but at the risk of offending the
powers that be, the primary reason I got this blood work done was to look at
my thyroid hormone levels.  Just as I predicted, I'm off; my free T-3 level
was all but in the basement.  I'm now taking Armour thyroid.  Nice to know I
was right.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO