From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 15:01:17 -0400
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Charles Alban wrote:

> <<Butter is also a good dietary source of cholesterol. What?? Cholesterol an
> anti-oxidant?? Yes indeed, cholesterol is a potent anti-oxidant that is
> flooded into the blood when we take in too many harmful
> free-radicals--usually from damaged and rancid fats in margarine and highly
> processed vegetable oils.3 A Medical Research Council survey showed that men
> eating butter ran half the risk of developing heart disease as those using
> margarine.4>>
>
> So a high cholesterol level is simply an indicator -- not a problem in
> itself. Treating high  cholesterol levels would be like trying to reduce the
> temperature by pushing the mercury back down the thermometer!

So what does it mean if one's cholesterol is high despite eating
*no* trans fats or refined vegetable oils?  I haven't bought a
bottle of vegetable oil (for my own use) in years.  Not even
olive oil, nor have I eaten any partially hydrogenated oils.  So
where are all those free radicals coming from?  Could it be from
ketones?

I ask this because there is some evidence that ketone utilization
does generate more free radicals than other forms of fuel use.

Todd Moody