From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:58:46 +0000
I recently went about some research on the best way to time meals
training.  The top link on Google was a running website, and a guy
(or could be a girl) explained how he eats high carb diets, but once
was out running in the evening and got so hungry he had to beg for
money for a Mars bar.  I felt sorry for him struggling with his diet
so I explained why he was having trouble *because of* his diet, not
*despite it*.

OH HOW I HAVE LEARNT MY LESSON!!!

The thread has now turned into an huge battle of Caveman vs Farmer,
Baker and Toffee Stick maker and is taking up more than an hour a day
of my time to reply to.

It has come down to two things I would like some advice on.

* First, I have stated the (I can say this outloud here) FACT that
veganism is unhealthy.  This has been disputed by a vegan on the site
("fairly middle-of-the-road as vegans go, not massively strict about
small traces of animal products").  She has rejected beyondveg.com as
proof that veganism is unhealthy, and I doubt I can even get her to
read westonaprice.org.

She has challenged me to find a peer reviewed article that proves
that vegetarianism is unhealthy.  I am resisting the urge to tell her
that when her teeth start falling out, she could consider that
proof.  Apparently she has access to ATHENS so can access journals.

I find it frustrating that I have to find scientific evidence that
the world is round, but for some reason, while people believe stupid
things for stupid reasons, they require highly intelligent reasons to
prove they are wrong.

* Second, I stated that high athletic performance can be achieved
while in ketosis, and that while carbohydrates can be used as a
source of energy, their overuse will limit performance.  An
interesting article at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2308519&dopt=Abstra shows that in
rats, glycogen is restored in ketosis-adapted animals while still
eating high fat, and a sudden supply of carbohydrates is used
efficiently to increase performance, whereas the converse is not true.

So I was wondering- does anyone know of any research that could
demonstrate that it is possible to achieve high levels of althetic
performance while in long-term ketosis?

Unfortunately, due to dogma-induced tunnel-vision, explaining that a
*typical* member of a North American tribe could run down and kill a
buffalo is useless.  My example that I have to use the phrase "VO2
max" at least three times per post or I am looked at like I'm talking
in Swahili.

Help much appreciated.  I don't expect to win the argument because
nobody on the forum is going to listen to me anyway (they don't even
LOOK AT the links I post).  But it will sharpen my paleo debating
skills :D

Ashley

PS  I've resisted linking to the thread in case I get accused of
bringing the boys round.  Although if anyone is interesting there's a
LOT of reading.