From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:54:54 -1000
Ella:
>If anyone has any suggestions to keep this list
>going for those who are interested in following the Neanderthin diet, please
>speak up.

Well...hmmm...you could lighten up a bit and skip over posts that you're
not interested in. In the last few months I have eaten more than 95% of my
calories from meat and marrow, which I think qualifies me as a
Neanderthinner at present. Yet I don't find a post which questions the
assumptions of Neanderthin offensive. What's the big deal?

Neanderthin purists simply have to face some facts:

1] Not everyone on this planet does well on the diet.
2] Picking the late Paleolithic as the ideal "diet era" is somewhat arbitrary.
 since...
3] Humans ate a raw paleo-diet before this time.
4] Humans ate dairy and grains after this time.
and
5] The adulturation (domestication and processing) of modern "paleo" foods
is significant to some greater or lessor degree.
6] Natural selection has not stood still since the advent of agriculture.
and
7] Unless they want a heavily moderated list there will be posts which they
consider irrelevent and/or blasphemous.

>P.S. to the others:  I really don't care what your opinions are about eating
>raw food only, or whether grains are good for you or not, or what can cause
>cancer or not.  You are boring, arrogant and inconsiderate.

You risk being a tad myopic (not too mention a tad boring, arrogant, and
inconsiderate) with such attitudes.

IMO the real value of these nutritional mailing lists is in the mixing of
different ideas. Todd Moody is my hero here. He has given variations of
Neanderthin a go, admitted he had some problems with it and continued his
research. He shares with the list extremely reasonable and useful
information, much of which is challenging to Neanderthin purists. If it
seems than others are "barging in" on the list with foreign ideas,
well...sheesh, we're all big boys and girls, no? There seems little reason
to get defensive about it. Unless, of course, your Neanderthin diet has
become the moral equivilant of what you complain about in vegan pretensions
(or raw pretentions, or whatever). If that is the case, then no posters to
this list could question the utility of any Neanderthin supposition and the
Neanderthin purists end up being as silly as the vegan purist--that is,
putting ideology over experience, closing one's mind, existing in an
intellectual rut.

John P:

>Now the list is full of people who not only insist on posting messages
>recommending diets/foods outside the scope of this diet, but we're even
>actually arguing about Linda McCartney's death.  Listen:  if people want to
>think that grains are a-ok, and that Linda's diet couldn't have had
>anything to do with her early demise, LET THEM.

I agree wholeheartedly. Let them. The sky isn't falling to have a silly
thread about Linda McCartney, or to have someone make a recommendation
outside the tenets of Neanderthin.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft