From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:12:49 -0700
At 06:48 PM 06/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>As an N.D., my experience has been that the body is not getting the proper
>nutrients, or amount of nutrients when we are still hungry and that hunger
>cannot be attributed to carbs or carb withdrawal.
>
>Siobhan

        I see this in practice very frequently. I believe that not being satisfied
from eating paleo or any other way is from some long standing nutritional
deficiency. The way to correct this is by providing food of great
nutritional value over time and ensuring the intestines are able to absorb
any available and needed nutrients. The nervous system controls the
absorption of nutrients through the intestines in response to mental,
physical, and chemical stresses. I am sure that a long term vegetarian diet
will provide the stress of nutrient deficiency to stimulate hunger
regardless of food intake. Two weeks is hardly enough time once
deficiencies have been corrected to connect cravings to anything other than
withdrawal. Lisa would be better served by eating nutrient dense foods to
first correct deficiencies and not by eating crap to temporarily dampen the
alteration of brain chemistry processed foods provide. This can take months
of abstaining from processed foods to achieve.
        I think if her cravings were only from a nutritional standpoint and not a
brain chemistry standpoint then she would crave nutritionally dense foods
not nutritionally barren foods such as tortillas and ice cream.

Dave