From:
Hala Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 09:47:10 EDT
Hi...nice to meet you all.

I happened upon the paleodiet by accident (and believe me it's a pleasant
surprise to see familiar faces from the continuum concept list here.)  I've
been on the Zone/low carb diet for some time...recently picked up a copy of
Neaderthin, started checking out the web resources, and switched to paleo.
My husband is still on the Zone, which is fine as the two are very
complimentary and the only basic difference is that he does eat dairy, which
I don't.

I have a few questions about some things stated in the book, which may have
been covered before, and a few things I've noticed from the paleofood recipes.

First of all, the section on beans, peas and legumes.  The author of
Neanderthin states that peas and green beans are "poisonous" if
uncooked...this is news to me!  I don't think I've *ever* been able to stand
the taste of cooked peas, but since childhood have eaten raw peas (usually
still in their pods if they're the kind without a tough membrane in the pod)
by the handful since childhood, and I've put raw green beans in salads fairly
often.  Um...I seem to be okay.  What's up?  Am I slowly poisoning myself?
Should I not worry about it?  I grow peas in my garden, and eat them raw
right off the vine...this seems pretty paleocorrect to me, and I've never
even gotten stomachache.

Second...honey and sugar.  I've never eaten a lot of honey, but a lot of
paleo recipes call for it.  On a typical lowcarb diet, honey is kind of out.
Is it OK on the paleo diet?  And, as far as sugar goes, I have a healthfood
store that sells raw sugar cane...you basically make a big mess chewing it up
and spitting out the fiber.  Still, this seems pretty much like something I
might find if I was gathering food in the region where it grew...is sugar
just *evil*?  Can I eat this stuff when I want a treat?

Third, butter.  A dairy product, but some paleo recipes call for butter.  Yes
or no on butter?  The book doesn't say...

Anyway, I'm glad this list is here and have found it very interesting.
Thanks for all the info...

Hala Winter