From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:31:39 -0400
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, matesz wrote:

> Someone (Todd, maybe) recently suggested more than a week in ketosis could
> lower your metabolic rate and/or was less tolerable etc....  (Can't find
> that Digest/too many in my mail box right now!) :-(

That wasn't me, although I was the one who initially stated that
after a few weeks of ketosis I don't feel so well.  Specifically,
I begin to experience edginess, palpitations, and a general
"fight or flight" feeling.  Since these symptoms are reminiscent
of hypoglycemia I conjecture that my liver is not as efficient at
gluconeogenesis as it should be.  The body uses stress hormones,
such as cortisol, to signal the liver to crank out glucose.  My
theory is that the stress hormones are causing the
fight-or-flight symptoms.

Further support for this conjecture is the fact that I only
experience this at very low carb intake levels: 20g/day or so.

Todd Moody