Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 11:34:34 -0400
Amadeus writes:

<<okok. However there shouldn't be the *need* to supplement and I find
it important to point this out on paleolithic nutrition.
No pills were lying around in nature.

If someone had to supplement with anything to be able to stay
on "paleo" diet, then it is no paleo diet.>>

  Hi Amadeus,

The logic here eludes me.  Is the point to eat paleolithically?  If so,
pardon my expression, but, we're screwed.    Many of those foods do not
exist today, and those that do have lower levels of nutrients.  Those who
believe that our foods still carry what we need have ignored evidence that
states otherwise.  Six to eight weeks ago I posted something to this list
that talked about the changes in the UDSA Nutritional Analysis figures for
foods.  Two older copies were found showing that as the years progressed,
nutrients in foods were less.  Sure, one can question the techniques and
instruments for measuring this, but I'm sure that this has been done by some
researcher somewhere.  I'll look when I have the chance.  Maybe someone else
is interested in looking in to this as well.

Paleo eating can provide us with a framework, but we have to look at whether
it, adapted to the foods available today, completely serves our needs. Our
needs are altered by our environments.  This level of toxins did not exist
during paleo times.  If the belief is that the body has not adapted beyond
paleo times in its nutritional requirements, how could it possibly adapt to
a point of being relatively untouched by these 'new' human-made toxins?

Today, many people suffer the ravages of poor diets and toxic environments.
For most, merely correcting that with the food available today is not
enough.  This is where supplementing becomes necessary.  I'm unwilling to
consider everything from the paleo paradigm as our lives today do not fit
into this paradigm.  Good heath comes first, and paleo provides us with the
knowledge of what kept a body healthy during paleo times.  To survive these
times, we must adapt to the demands of the environment. Supplementing wisely
helps many people do this.

Blessings,
Siobhan