From:
MichaelO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:51:58 +1100
You may have had an unripe sapote...the ones I have had are sweeter than
dates imo....(obviously I am comparing the Sapote with fresh dates not the
more common & mostly sold product,.. dried dates....
     Here in Australia they also sell a "chocolate sapote"..sometimes
marketed as chocolate mousse fruit etc.
  Not sure how they got the chocolate taste , but they are very rich...I
seem to recall the sapot was a hybrid fruit bred/sourced from a fruit we
call here in Australia "custard apple"...which are also a very rich /filling
fruit.
   The Custard apple fruit may well be a relative newcomer in evolutionary
terms too (new types of exotic fruits has been big business for the past 25
years or more)..fwiw
Michael