From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:54:19 EST
I tried the WD for several weeks but abandoned it because I felt like crap on
it.  During the morning and afternoon, I would only eat raw veggies, fruit,
and a small amount of very lean protein ie turkey breast (without some
protein during the day, I just cannot concentrate and feel awful).  Ori
allows some protein during the day if a person finds it necessary but he
really pushes his whey drink for this.  I usually avoid dairy except for
butter, so his protein drink was out for me.  I found no pleasure in one
gorge fest at night, because I do not like the feeling of being so very full
and bloated at bedtime.  Also, I believe that Ori's recommendation for and
his use of coffee (double expresso, etc.) is because one NEEDS this kind of
stimulant to get through a day so low in calories.  I love coffee, and
certainly got a huge boost of energy and feelings of euphoria from black
Starbucks on a nearly empty stomach, but this in fact led me to a dependence
on it.  I found myself needing to drink more black coffee throughout the day
and then started experiencing crashes.  When I abandoned the WD and tried to
just go back to an occassional coffee or my usual several cups of green tea,
I had horrible withdrawl -- lots of nausea and terrible headaches (and I am
one of those people that rarerly eperiences headaches).  I really became
addicted to the stuff.  In any event, I did lose some weight but I am certain
that this is because I was consuming fewer calories.  I just couldn't gorge
enough at night to make up for hardly eating during the day.  Bear in mind
that Ori also mentions alternating days with low carb to facilitate
weightloss.  Also, the gorge fests are not supposed to be junk food city.
While he claims on the one hand that you could eat junk at night, he
emphasizes that he eats whole grains or tubers for his night carbs.  The
evening gorge should also be performed in a specific order -- first, a raw
veggie appetizer, then steamed veggies, then meat and "healthy" starches.  I
also do not accept his theory about fruit and veggie juices being "cleansing"
or the need to eat food in a certain order -- sounds a lot like "Fit For Life
Nonsense" whose author , incidentally, wrote the preface to WD.  Fruit and
veggie juices work well for some people, but for others, they create blood
sugar imbalances, candida and abdominal fat gain.    I think food order is a
highly individualized thing.  I can control my hunger MUCH better if I eat at
least some protein first.  If the plan works for you -- great.  For me it was
a disaster.