From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:01:22 -0500
>the issue of eating only free-range meat
> or even wild game only.

A long-term diet of high quality meats is less expensive in comparison to
the cost of medical care for diseases caused by a poor diet. Buffalo and emu
meat are available commercially and are more readily available than ever.
Admittedly, these meats are more expensive than commercial beef, pork and
chicken

Since most of us are trying to simulate paleo diets in a less than perfect
environment, we can't expect perfection. I eat more plant foods (avocados,
nuts, seeds, low-glycemic fruits) and supplement my diet with EFA's. I've
reduced my meat intake and rely more on whole eggs and egg whites to meet my
protein needs. I also try to buy organically raised foods as much as
possible.

One of the main problems with modern, commercial meat is the unsatisfactory
lipid profile issue. Most commercial meats (beef, pork, chicken) are
severely deficient in omega-3 fatty acids. Recently someone on the list
recommended an algal source of DHA (long-chain omega 3 fatty acid). I
contacted the CEO, Kent Meager, of the company that produces this product.
OmegaTech, the company, doesn't sell directly to consumers, but you can
acquire their DHA in supplement form from General Nutrition Center stores
(one of the larges health food store chains in the country). The product is
called GoldMinds and is available from the GNC web site, www.gnc.com, at an
reasonable price (do a search for DHA on the site).

I was concerned with the safety of any product derived from algae
considering the contamination problems that have occured in the production
of spirulina (fecal matter, chemicals, etc.). Mr. Meager discussed
OmegaTech's production processes with me in depth. The product is derived in
sterile laboratory conditions, and every batch is tested for contaminants.

For those taking flaxseed oil as an omega-3 supplement, please be aware that
flaxseed oil doesn't provide the benefits of the long-chain omega-3's, EPA
and DHA. The short chain omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil (alpha
linolenic fatty acids) are converted to long-chain omega-3 fatty acid forms
but only at the inefficient rate of 2% to 5%. Since DHA is a storage form of
EPA, DHA supplementation is the most efficient choice for long-chain omega-3
supplementation.

I have experienced a noticeable improvement in my health since I began
reducing the fatty meat component of my diet and taking EFA supplements.
Perhaps this approach offers at least a partial solution to the problem of
the expense involved in eating higher quality meats.

> For me that is just too expensive and difficult to do.
> I wonder how much stress shortens life vs. how much
> eating modern meats shortens life?  Don't the studies show
> that stress is a bigger factor?

I don't want to wax religious or philosophic, but I do want to put in a plug
for regular mediation. Anyone who takes the time to meditate at least 20
minutes a day for an extended period of time will realize noticeable
benefits (particularly stress reduction). Barry Sears explains how this
works in his book THE ANTI-AGING ZONE. And I'm sure that everyone on this
list is aware of the stress-reducing benefits of regular exercise.

Troy Gilchrist