From:
Denise LePage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:21:09 EDT
Hello, all.  I'm new to the list, but have been lurking around reading the
archives for a month or so.  I finally decided to jump in. :)

In a message dated 8/30/00 8:49:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Any paleo gals out there notice any hormonal shifts while following a
 > paleo diet?  Lately, I have noticed increased  breast
 > tenderness and swelling exactly as if I was premenstrual (and NO, I
 > AM NOT PREGNANT).  I'm wondering if the diet could cause this. >>

Yes, I've had the same experience and have been given the same explanation.
Estrogen released from fat cells.  At the age of 35, and with the symptoms
starting at the exact same time I began losing weight, I doubt it has
anything to do with menopause for me.

Atkins suggests yam progesterone the first two weeks of the cycle to help
with this.  It hasn't become a big enough problem that I'd try it, but it
seems to be a popular rememdy for excess estrogen, be it due to fat loss or
menopause.

Some interesting info on estrogen dominance:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9610&L=lowcarb&P=R8071

Denise