From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:50:58 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/02 1:09:50 PM, "Dena L. Bruedigam"
<[log in to unmask] writes:

<< My osteo-arthritis has never been this bad.  . . One person
told me to give up tomatoes.  I haven't tried that yet because it doesn't
make any sense to me, but I am getting desperate. . .  I eat primarily meat,
eggs, fruit, nuts, and paleo veggies although I am known to cheat on
occasion. . . I also need to lose a few pounds.  I'm sure that would help the
arthritis. . .>>

Hi Dena,

I am no doctor or expert by any means, but I have been battling inflammation
myself and have done a lot of research over the years. I have a number of
suggestions that you may find useful.

I have heard/read for many years that the nightshade vegetables can
exacerbate arthritis in susceptible people. These would include tomatoes,
white potatoes, peppers, and eggplant.

Arthritis (Rheumatoid or Osteo) is an inflammatory disease, and as such may
respond favorably to dietary manipulation geared towards controlling
inflammation. Specifically, this would mean working hard at improving your
Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. Most vegetable, nut and seed oils are higher in
Omega 6. A switch to the use of Omega 3 oils from marine sources, coconut
oil, saturated fats from free range animals and some olive oil should help
substantially. This might be the most important variable of all. (Just my
humble opinion, but certainly worth a try.) Personally, I take a tablespoon
of Carlson's Cod Liver Oil a day, stay away from vegetable oils and trans
fats, and I feel it makes a big difference.

I have recently come across some research about a new Omega 3 supplement,
called Lyprinol, which is reported to be many times more potent than fish
oils or Ibuprofen in alleviating arthritis symptoms. I have no interest in
any company manufacturing this, so I suggest a Google search for more
information. (I have, in fact, just ordered some for myself, but have not
received it yet.)

MSM is also supposed to be very effective in combating the pain of
inflammatory conditions. Here as well, a Google search will yield tons of
information.

Losing weight is an issue so many of us struggle with, and yes, for a variety
of reasons, it may positively impact the course of the disease. It's not
easy, I know! And when disability limits the exercise you can do even more,
it becomes a vicious cycle hard to break into. Perhaps swimming would be a
good thing for you. Many places offer water exercises for folks compromised
by physical limitations.

As for cheating, each of us has to come to his/her own conclusion as to how
much dietary revolution we are willing to tolerate. If you went into
anaphylactic shock every time you ate a strawberry, I doubt you would ever
consider eating another one again. But when the consequences are so unclear,
it is very hard to give up favorite foods without clear-cut "proof" that one
needs to. For myself, a 100% abstinence from gluten containing grains has
effected a 100% cure of my formerly devastating bipolar disorder. There is
simply no cheating here, ever. The end.

It is possible that an occasional cheat every now and then (what's every now
and then?) may keep a particular condition at bay; it is also possible that
the same occasional cheat may keep the condition active. Personally, I follow
the Eades' advice (in their book, The Protein Power Life Plan) and I never
eat any gluten at all, and rarely even cheat on other grains. Yes, I do cheat
now and then on other things, and if I do, I pay a price.

Lastly, I have to agree with the other poster who suggested giving up the
drugs. I have found myself, that they do offer some short term pain relief,
but at a steep price. There always seems to be a "rebound" reaction the day
or 2 after I have taken them, where I just don't feel right.

I wish you the best, and please keep us posted as to your progress.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY