From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 06:07:06 -1000
Ken:

>it is hard to
>imagine why a hunter-gatherer (or sane modern person) would squeeze out the
>juice, and throw away the rest of the fruit (with its vital fiber).

I enjoyed watching some monkeys in Thailand chewing tangerines, sucking the
juice and discarding the fiber/pith. I guess that is fairly common for some
primates and can be elaborated into wadging--where a fiberous pant is
chewed along with "sloppy" foods, such as brains. The chimp chews and
sucks, chews and sucks and then discards the whole wad of fiber.

Personally, I often "juice" citrus in my mouth and nearly always
chew/suck/discard fiber when I eat fresh coconut meat. But no one ever
accused me of being sane. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft