Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:19:35 -0500

An article in my local paper a couple of years ago mentioned that some
people find relief from restless leg by supplementing with iron, magnesium,
and/or folic acid. There's also these:

- "Folate and magnesium supplementation, regular, moderate exercise, hot
baths, massage, heating pads or ice packs may also help."
(http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/restless_leg_syndrome_still_difficult_to
_diagnose.htm)
- 3. COMMON NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES IN CELIAC DISEASE: Calcium, Iron,
Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Folate, Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6),
Vitamin B12 (http://www.glutenfreeworks.com/symptomology.php)
- The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and do a
physical and neurologic exam. The diagnosis is based mainly on your
symptoms. There is no specific test for RLS, but tests to check for
conditions that may trigger RLS include:  Blood tests to check iron levels;
Monitoring of leg activity during sleep ("sleep study"); Study of leg
muscles (electromyography (EMG) and nerve-conduction studies) to check for
peripheral neuropathy (Swedish Medical Center
http://www.swedish.org/17294.cfm)
- "The malabsorption that occurs in celiac disease can lead to multiple
nutritional deficiencies. The most common nutritional problems in people
with celiac disease include deficiencies of essential fatty acids, iron,
vitamin D, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, and folic acid.16 Zinc
malabsorption also occurs frequently in celiac disease17 and may result in
zinc deficiency, even in people who are otherwise in remission.18 People
with newly diagnosed celiac disease should be assessed for nutritional
deficiencies by a doctor." Celiac Disease,
http://www.publix.com/wellness/notes/Display.do?id=Concern&childId=Celiac_Di
sease
- "The presence of an underlying and hidden food allergy could be the reason
for restless leg syndrome in some people. The human immune system reacts to
certain foods and foreign or toxic compounds violently, resulting in a food
allergy, these allergies may be hidden and could be manifested through other
disorders in the body. Many common foods and substances used on a daily
basis such as cereals like wheat and corn, dairy products including milk and
many other common foods can cause allergic reaction that are often masked or
delayed in their appearance in the body. Identification of such allergens is
hard as symptomatic trails are very hard to detect and because these
allergens are so completely included in the dietary foods that discovering
them or avoiding them is very hard and almost impossible." Restless Leg
Syndrome, http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/restless_leg_syn.htm

It's possible you could have a nutritional deficiency that has not been
fully resolved by your dietary change. Since several nutritional
deficiencies are associated with Celiac disease, this would not be
surprising. Check with your doctor first, of course.