From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:47:52 MDT
Listers,

So, I gave the Anchell plan a try and while I may give it another go in the
future, it's 'so long' for now.

I'm not thrilled with this update, as I like to think of myself as a woman
with a will of steel.  But there's no doubt in my mind; carb rich foods,
even healthy fruits, turn me into a craving lunatic.  Okay, that's a little
harsh.  But it's very hard for me to stop at one small serving of fruit.
Why?  Insert your theory here.  But I don't really care.  All I know is that
it's easier to eat meat and vegetables than meat and fruit so that's what
I'll do.

The followinig statement will make my Mama proud.  I am actually craving
vegetables.  AND I have some in my garden!  Cabbage, tomatoes, eggplant and
several different peppers (chocolate beauty, pimento, purple beauty, golden
bell, etc) are ready for harvest.  The yellow squash will be ready in about
a week.  No pesticide and no chemical fertilizer; just some manure in the
soil before I planted.  To hell with humility; my garden would put Martha
Stewart to shame this year and I'm ready to eat the 'fruits' of my labor.

Another awful admission is that since going gung-ho on Anchell, I had TWO
cheat days, a 24-hour period in which I try to stick to the plan but slip,
then say 'Hell with it!" and go nuts.  I also hate to admit the proverbial
Aunt Flo played a role, but not in the way you may think.

Now, this may have nothing to do with dietary changes, but I do have to
wonder.  For the bulk of this cycle, I followed the Anchell plan.  And for
the first time in more than two years, I had to wait 40 days between cycles.
  Over the last 16 cycles, only two went beyond my 29-32 day range, both
times just 36 days; one when my 4yo nephew died in a house fire, the other
when I was laid off.  Stress can do this.  No stress whatsoever this time
around, and I go for a ride on Noah's Ark!  Once again, a trip to the
pharmacy for The Test.  I was mad, sad and scared sh*tless, all at once.  So
last night, I drowned my sorrows in Ben & Jerries.  Don't ask what else I
had that day.

I'm glad to report everything is, ahem, back to normal, but still, I never
want to go on this roller coaster again!  For those unaware, I have a
hormonal imbalance known as PCOS, with irregular menstrual cycles the
primary problem/symptom.  I used to average 46 days between cycles but could
go anywhere from 31-50 days.  This ain't right!  Atkins immediately
regulated my cycles with the length shortening over time, the average span
now 29-32 days (usually 31), which is normal.  Not clockwork, but normal.

As usual, this went on longer than expected.  But I will now eat meat and
vegetables, still staying within 1200-1400 cal/day (more if I find exercise
makes me hungrier) with some aerobics (walking and swimming) and a fair
amount of weightlifting.  I've got just a little bit of pain in my upper
body today, but nothing to complain about.  It's great to be lifting again
and I'm confident fat loss will soon follow.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO