From:
Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:57:26 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> Re cardboard comment:- While palaeodieters don't (usually) cook their meats
> well-done, most SAD-dieters do.

How do you know this? I'm not saying it can't be true, just wondering
how you know. SAD dieters also eat a lot of other foods besides meat, so
it's not reliable to use them as a source of evidence for the effects of
cooked vs raw foods. There's a whole lotta grains, legumes, PUFA's etc
in the SAD diet.
> re water-content:- A  rawist recently suggested that some of the fat is
> rendered off from cooking, so that that is the main reason why raw food has
> more calories.
>
> But, yes, increased water-content could result in an earlier "full" feeling.

Studies have demonstrated that diluting a food with water (or other
substance) simply leads to more food consumed in order to achieve the
calories. I apologize that I can't find the actual study to quote for
you...I have it here somewhere :) The gist was that rats, when their
food was diluted with water, clay etc, would simply eat more of it until
they satisfied their caloric needs. Even if you did get a 'full' feeling
sooner from food with more water content, it doesn't mean you'll
necessarily eat less - you'll just be driven to consume more food in
order to meet your caloric needs, ie: you'll eat your next meal sooner.