From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:52:11 MDT
>In a message dated 6/24/00 7:58:21 AM CST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< What about Paleopanfried cooking at high temps with coconut,
>  walnut/hazelnut/almond, palm, or grapeseed oils?

Here's a related information nugget.  If you want to "bread" and fry some
chicken but are worried about overheating the oil, try this.  Dip the meat
in egg, then roll it in the "breading" of your choice (ground nuts, crush
pork rinds, whadevah), fry in a healthy oil or fat on medium heat juuuuust
long enough to get the "breading" crispy, then pop it in the oven.

I've "breaded" chicken in ground, strained almond meal (an almond-milk
leftover that's lower in fat, I'm sure, than plain ground nuts, which I
haven't tried yet), ground pork rinds and ground sesame seed, the latter of
which is great with a coconut milk/curry sauce drizzled over it!  I plan to
try the blanch-'n'-bake method with finely ground coconut in the near future
for some tropical paleo goodness.

Some may argue that cavemen didn't fry up a meal.  I know, I know, but I
like to pretend I'm a gourmet from time to time and life's short; I figure
if everthing is paleolithically correct (meat, good oil, ground nuts), a
little time in the frying pan is A-ok.  Also, baked chicen is quite tender
and juicy.

Just an idea for those of us who like to try and put Martha Stewart to paleo
shame.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO