From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 19:53:16 -0700
I could really use some good creative food
suggestions.  My father in law has come to live with
us again. He is very ill, basically, he is losing
elasticity in the tissues of his internal organs. This
is seen as a terminal condition. (What exactly is
going on we can't be sure. Dad is secretive about his
medical issues.) He had surgery years ago to remove a
blockage in his intestines which basically equates to
some of the kinds of bariatric surgery that is being
done today.  So anyways, that's the background. It's
excruciatingly hard for him to keep any weight on his
bones at all.

The challenge: all Dad wants to eat is milk with
hershey's chocolate syrup in it, and grilled cheese
sandwiches made with velveeta on cheap white bread.
Because he asked for these foods, I have been buying
them, but I know this isn't helping him. He has
dentures and has trouble chewing, so he's given up on
most meats, although I can usually get him to eat
hamburg patties and eggs.

Dad is not a mentally addled elderly man -- he is a 55
year old man suffering from ill health no doubt
exacerbated by his food choices and a predilection to
drinking and smoking. When he lived with us last time,
and we got him to cut down on drinking and smoking
(and got him to eat) he got better and was able to
live on his own.  But since then, he slipped into bad
old habits.

Can anyone suggest paleo foods that might help us keep
some weight on him? Especially things that are easy to
eat? My husband and I have been on the other end of
that spectrum, needing to get weight off, not keep it
on, so I'm having readjusting my thinking cap to meet
this new challenge.

I may never get him to give up the chocolate milk
regime, but I feel I ought to try to offer him
something else too. Ultimately I am in control of the
food buying, and if I just stopped buying the
hershey's and velveeta, he'd just have to deal with
it. I'm not that dictocratic or mean, but I also feel
like I'm supplying an addict.

Thanks!

Halle

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience