From:
PLVentura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:14:40 -0400
> Also - have any of you had success with eating no carbs - meats only for a
> few days or longer for bacterial/candida/GI dysbiosis?

Jo,

Absolutely, but I wouldn't say I ate absolutely no carbs.  I would eat
small portions of cooked veggies, including the broth/cooking water.  I
have Crohn's, and my dysbiosis index was still high on the type O diet
(all that rice!).  I didn't pay much attention to the SCD at first
because at first glance, there appears to be a lot of dairy and honey
used.  But once I did take a good look at it, the basic premise in terms
of bowel disorders really hit home when it came to the problems I
personally have with starchy carbs (parsnips, yams, etc.).  So I use a
combination of that diet and the paleo (no dairy, easy on the honey).
I'm only 110 lbs. and kill off 100 grams of protein/day, and about as
much fat as I can, mostly animal.  For long periods, I've kept my carbs
between 10 & 20 grams, mostly in the form of cooked leafy greens.
(These are rough estimates--I don't really get into counting grams that
much.)   I don't know how that would  affect your BM's, since we're all
a little different in that department, but I know the more carbs I add,
the softer the stool.  But that could just be a Crohn's thing--dunno.
Also, I don't know how that would affect your liver if you have
hepatitis, but I do know my dysbiosis index was greatly improved in
about 2 years.  (It might have been better sooner, but it was 2 years
betweeen tests.)  I'm guessing the high-quality Custom Probiotics played
a part in that too.  My diet still remains pretty much the same, but
with a few more carbs consumed cautiously here and there.  I run into
problems with the Crohn's if I get overconfident and sneak in something
I know I shouldn't.  As for pemmican alone, I've eaten it alone for a
day here and there, whenever I make a long journey by foot or car, but
I'd find it pretty boring for a longer period than that, dysbiosis or
not!

Hope this wasn't more of an answer than you were looking for...

Lois