From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:20:15 +1100
At 10:01 -0500 24/1/03, The Lucey-Weinhold Family wrote:

>So do I, and I have a question for you (and for others who are
>celiac/gluten intolerant):  do you find that you have a reaction when
>you eat meat that was raised on gluten-containing grains?

Hi Pat,

Living where I do here in Australia it's a little hard to come by beef
raised exclusively on grains the way it is in the USA. There are a few
"finishing plants" up north, but most of the meat fattened up there is
for export into SE Asia. There are a few plants west of Sydney which I
presume fatten up meat for the Sydney market and/or export. In both
cases the meat is "free range" and generally grass fed until just a few
months before slaughter.

Likewise with lamb/mutton/goat meat. It's almost all grass fed,
although with grain supplements when grass is scarce.

The last two years here have been particularly poor for grass. We are
enduring a major drought, and I know farmers who have been
supplementing with hay and grain for 18 months.

Notwithstanding the grain supplements being fed to stock recently, I
have not noticed any reactions to any of the meat I have consumed which
are different from previous years.

I have noticed that I sometimes get indigestion from eating rabbit.
This is farmed rabbit (obvious from the amount of fat it contains). I'm
not sure whether it's the rabbit meat or the bacon I wrap it in before
roasting which causes the problem for me. I intend to run a little
experiment by shooting a few wild rabbits and seeing if I react to
them. And cooking without bacon too.

I rarely eat non-free range chicken, and when I do it is only in
restaurants, and who knows what other stuff is lurking in the meal. I
guess all chicken is grain-fed, whether it is organic, free-range or
battery. Some of the chicken I buy proudly states "corn fed" as if
that's some sort of advantage! Never seen anyone selling "worm-fed"
chicken!!

I also generally avoid pork due to the inhumane and unhealthy way in
which it is raised. I noticed some free range pigs roaming around in a
paddock recently, and I intend to go back there to ask the farmer if I
can buy some of his meat. That will be interesting. Not the least to
see whether the prevailing stereotype of pig farmers holds:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/robert_pickton/6.htm

>I've been puzzled to observe some of my old symptoms recurring (though
>mildly) after eating chicken, either regular old supermarket-type or
>carefully hand-raised organic

Interesting that both types of chicken cause the same problems. Perhaps
you also have an allergy to chicken?? Or perhaps you cook it in a way
that differs from your normal cooking. As an example, when I roast
chicken I stuff it (not an edible stuffing!) with lemon, garlic,
rosemary and thyme. This is almost the only time I eat thyme. Perhaps
there's some ingredient you only use when cooking chicken??

>digestive process would completely dismantle the original protein into
>its constituent elements and recycle them under their new identities ---
>just the way our bodies are supposed to work when functioning
>optimally.

I guess this could follow from the theory that auto-immune diseases are
caused by partially digested proteins "leaking" through the gut wall
and triggering the immune system. If this can happen in humans when
they eat the "wrong" diet, perhaps it can also happen to animals.

And there is no doubt that a 100% grain diet is non-paleo for both
cattle and chickens. So perhaps gluten does leak into the flesh
somehow. Perhaps those corn-fed chickens might be of some use after
all!!

Sorry I can't give you a yes or no answer! Terribly difficult question
though. I have a habit now of blaming gluten for every spot of
indigestion I get, yet I am sure there are other causes of an upset
stomach!

 ...R.