From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:41:38 -0700
Amadeus --

My understanding of how evolution works, is that bottlenecks, coupled
with an extreme environment (an environment very different than the
environment that was before), can bring about very, very rapid changes
in the gene pool of an organism.  The idea is that, if an environment is
so different than the previous one, that most of the population of the
organism dies, and only a few are left (those presumably who were best
suited to the new environment), then the new gene pool is determined
only by those who survived (of course) no matter how different they were
than the previous population.  If the ice age were such a pressure, then
the changes could have been profound, and rapid.

Erik Hill