From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:29:12 -0400
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Laurie-Ann Curry wrote:

> The recent thread that has mentioned diabeties brought up a conversation I had sometime with a colleague.  If a diabetic goes into deep ketosis he is in danger of dying but the only time I lose weight is when I put my
> body into deep ketosis.  I feel better when I am in ketosis, more energy and far less joint dysfunction.  The Atkins diet was my first introduction to this.  My colleague is the same way.  Any thoughts?

I am not diabetic, but I think the key is that in a diabetic the
level of ketosis must be controlled more carefully by caloric
management, because there is no insulin available to shut down
ketone production.  For nondiabetics, the degree of attainable
ketosis is limited.  When that limit is reached, insulin is
stimulated to shut ketosis down, regardless of calories.

Personally, I feel no better or worse in deep ketosis, except
when I am lifting weights.  Then I feel worse.

Todd Moody