From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:56:12 EST
In a message dated 11/18/02 5:57:17 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> asked about this a while ago and still have the same request: what is
>
>wrong with irradiated foods? I would like to hear some good science on
>this.

The problem with irradiated meat was mentioned at the end of the article I
sent-- the author actually gives another website to go to for more
information about the problems with irradiated meat. Here are the last few
paragraphs of the article I sent:

According to Dr. Samuel S. Epstein, Professor Emeritus of Environmental
Medicine, University of Illinois School of Public Health, Chicago: "The
government's assertion that irradiated food is safe for human consumption
does not even pass the laugh test. Exposing America's school children to the
hazards of irradiated food is reckless negligence, compounded by the absence
of any warning to parents.
"Irradiated meat is a very different product than natural meat. This is
hardly surprising as the Food and Drug Administration's approved irradiation
dosage of 450,000 rads is approximately 150 million times greater than that
of a chest x-ray. Apart from high levels of benzene, new chemicals known as
'unique radiolytic products' were identified in irradiated meat in U.S. Army
tests in 1977, and recognized as carcinogenic. Later tests identified other
chemicals shown to induce genetic toxicity."
For more comprehensive information on the safety of irradiated foods in
particular and the food supply in general, visit organicconsumers.com, or
contact Food and Water, Inc. in Walden, Vermont. You may just decide to
become a vegetarian.

For what's wrong with irradiated food go to:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/irradlink.html

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>