From:
Judy Denham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:11:27 +0000
!
>Alex wrote:
>I am about to start my son on solids. I plan to begin with vegetables.

Alex this is partly in response to your earlier post wondering about your
baby needing cereal in order to avoid anemia.  A baby needs only breast milk
for the first six months.  Iron is only necessary for babies receiving
formula, not for those who are breast fed. (This shows the difference
between raw milk and pasteurized milk.)   You should introduce new foods one
at a time until you see how each one agrees with him.  Allergies are caused
by starting new foods before the baby's digestive system can handle them.  I
believe that meat is not started until the baby is a few months older.

I learned this information from my daughter who is a public health nurse who
advises new mothers about child care.  She nursed her second baby for 18
months.
Judy