From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 22:54:29 -0500
In news:internal.mailing-list.maelstrom.paleofood, Johnny Battle
<[log in to unmask]> posted on Fri, 17 May 2002 09:54:30 -0700:

> http://irweb.swmed.edu/newspub/newsdetl.asp?story_id=411
>
> I suspect that for millenia our ancestors ate lean meat and body organs
> during times when game was plentiful (most of the time). They probably
> roasted this over open fires, causing even more of the fat to drip/burn
> away. The rest of the carcass, including the fat,  they would leave for
> the dogs. In times of  famine, they would eat the entire carcass and
> make use of the higher calorie content of the fat, but even then there
> would not have been a huge amount of fat, just a higher percentage.
>
> This fits, of course, with the Cordain version of Paleolithic diet
> rather than the Neanderthin version.

But baking and grilling cause carcinogenic deposits to form on the meats.
Those oh so tasty black char marks are carcinogenic.  That's kind of a shame,
too, because the taste of that stuff is wonderful.  I also like catching
marshmallows on fire and eating them when the flame goes out. :-)

Damaeus