From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:09:44 -0700
Ken wrote, in reply to me:

>>My interest in paleodiets is immediate; I'm 6'0" (about 185cm) and 370 lbs
>>(168kg).  I have had considerable temporary success on the Stillman,
>>Atkins, and other low-carb diets, but I always put it back on over a year
>>or two. I lose slowly or not at all eating >25g of carbs.
>>
>>Two questions:  what do the initials SAD stand for, in describing diets?
>
>Standard American Diet.
>
>When you have put weight back on after success with Atkins, what are the
>conditions?   Are you still following the diet successfully, or do you have
>trouble following it for a long period of time?

I always get convinced that *now* I can go back to eating a little bread
here or there, or a piece of cornbread...then it's some rice here and
potatoes there...six weeks later it's a pint of B&J New York Fudge Chunk
every night, then a few days later Dove Dark bars.  I almost finished a 1+
pound Trader Joe's dark chocolate and almond bar in "one sitting", that is,
chewing it into oblivion while I sat in front of the computer over the
course of two hours or so. In that quantity, I actually got a hangover from
the "natural" drugs in the chocolate the next day, one of the nastiest
experiences I've undergone, though it only lasted about 4 hours.

Mike (now munching pine nuts and almonds in front of the computer)