From:
Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:45:20 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> It's perfectly possible to lose weight on a cooked diet if one restricts the supply of food. It's also possible to low weight on a cooked, low-carb diet. However, plenty of nutritionists have pointed out that going (cooked) low-carb just means losing a lot of water-content as carbs increase water-retention..

So people who lose 100+ lbs have just lost water weight? Weight loss at
the beginning of a low carb diet is mainly water...as id the weight loss
at the beginning of any diet.
> As regards the going back 100 years comment, it's basically unfounded. After all, 100 years ago, they had much higher activity-levels so would have been better placed to work off the fat gained from eating cooked foods(plus native tribes from 100+ years ago, didn't overcook their foods like we do, which would have helped re weight-loss.

I am seriously still waiting for some science here regarding cooking
causing obesity that controls for what TYPE of food is being eaten. By
what mechanism does this happen? What actually happens in the body? We
have a good idea of the relation to insulin/hyperinsulinemia etc and
obesity, and science going back 100 years that demonstrates this
reliably (and can be replicated over and over). We also have science
that demonstrates (and has been replicated) that calorie content and/or
energy expenditure are corrolated with obesity, although not a cause
(often, they are a result). Taubes lists numerous studies that have
found this, for example (and that obesity/weight gain is a symptom of an
underlying metabolic disorder, and one that not everyone will exhibit)

I see a lot of speculation regarding cooked vs raw foods and obesity,
but not much in the way of science to back it up. There is quite a bit
of evidence that HG tribes, once they started eating modern foods, also
started experiencing diseases of civilization (diabetes, etc) and
obesity...but none of it that I've come across demonstrates that the
reason for this was due to transitioning from a diet of raw to a diet of
cooked food. If there is evidence of a people gaining weight and
experiencing disease after a transition of raw fat meat to cooked fat
meat (and nothing else, like bread, jam, sugar, etc), I would love to
see it. I really would, I am not being facetious here. That would tell
us something.