From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:43:41 -0500
I think Jerry's right. But I also notice that he was faced with the
prospect of having his foot lopped off unless he made some permanent
dietary changes.  I think it's easier for some of us to rationionize
certain food choices that certainly aren't paleo (I know I do!)or
necessarily healthy simply because we can get away with it and aren't
facing urgent health emergencies. On the other hand, I believe stress is
definitely a killer and consider enjoyment sort of a nutrient.  If someone
is in good health and derives a  lot of pleasure from say a bit of potato
or cheese or dark chocolate or beans or coffee etc or taking paleo "breaks"
periodically  -- and those small deviations enable the person to maintain a
80%+ paleoish compliancy the rest of the time w
ith ease -- then perhaps
those deviations are the correct choice for particular individuals.  Also,
while diabetes is certainly one area that diet is crucial, other diseases
simply occur regardless of how pristine one's diet is. Similarly, there are
those who enjoy health and longevity no matter what their diet is.  We had
a thread on the centenarians a while back and I am reminded of the two
sisters and their brother 100+ who lived without assistance (one still went
to work at his company every morning) and feasted daily on chicken fried
steak, mashed potatoes w/gravy, white biscuits and peach cobbler!
Anyway, I think Jerry's post was inspiring and it makes a lot of sense to
me that the only way to stop certain food addictions is to go cold turkey --
permanently -- and that this is abolutely possible if (big if in my case!)
one really wants it.  I know plenty of alcoholics who remain sober now
because
they really want to -- they simply want it badly enough that their
want to remain sober overides their want for alchohol.