From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:43:05 -0700
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:56:45 -0700, Trish Tipton <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>To be honest, I never noticed that part of the rules or regulations of
>posting here.  This is also the first complaint I have ever seen on here
>regarding sig quotes, and I have been a member for almost 2 years.
>However, if it offends you, then I have no problem removing them prior to
>my posting.

This just came up now, for several reasons.

One is that I (and probably many others) don't read every thread.
Scanning
though the list for your posts, most of your recent ones were in the
threads I
did not read, which just means that our interests are different as
regards
Paleo.

Second is that it seems to have hit a "critical mass" lately or simply
that I
read several posts together - all of which had signature and quotes.

Third, and most important, is that "pithy sayings" like " Don't Judge
A Book By
It's Cover, You May Be Missing Out On A Great Story....." are
interesting a
couple of times, and then after awhile seeing the same one over and
over and
over begins to grate.  Given, that almost all of the signature quotes
were the
same ones over and over, I think that was a big factor.   When I post
in
newsgroups, I use about two dozen different sig files that I cycle
through,
often choosing one that reflects directly on the message.

>From that last, you can clearly see that I am not opposed to sig files in
general.   However, there are pros and cons, and I can see that those
who
constructed the Guidelines felt that the disadvantages were more
relevant in
this mailing list.

My feeling in all this, is that there should be uniformity, ie that
either
everyone follow the Guideline as far as signature quotes, or else this
particular Guideline should be tossed out, and we can then all use
signature
files as we like.   Either way, but one or the other.

Ken

--
Cheers,

Ken