From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:17:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/01 9:54:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What type of food are you thinking of in a heavy meal?  Are you referring
 the size of the meal, even if it's paleo?

Heavy is a meaningless term. The question is what are the side effects of
eating different types of food, and also the quantity.

I believe that eating protein and fat has hardly any effect on blood sugar,
and so will have no detectable effect on energy levels. This I can vouch for
from personal experience. You cannot eat too much fat, because it triggers
the satiation response, and is thus self limiting. You can eat a lot of
protein (I gobbled up a whole lot of jerky recently, which of course has no
fat, and I did not feel satiated), and you will feel no ill effects from this.

Carbohydrate is clearly a different matter. This definitely affects blood
sugar, and the feelings of drowsiness last some hours. This could be
described as a heavy meal, because of the feelings of pressure in the
stomach. The feeling of faintness I had after eating a high carbo meal
occurred within 15 mins. of eating, and was definitely faintness, and not
fatigue, so I believe this is caused by blood diversion for digestion.

Charles
San Diego, CA