From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:40:17 -0400
From: "Kimberly Rogers" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [P-F] Paleodiet/HRT/Menopause

>  <snip> I just wonder how much flax seed is too much flax
> seed.  Also, Nina's  flax seed bars and other recipes for flax include
dried
> fruit (small amounts per serving), and maple syrup.  Maple syrup is not in
> Ray's book, is it?  Will a small amount throw me out of paleo?  I must
tell
> you that I'm having a terribly hard time sticking with this diet, anyway.
> think I have to get my blood sugar checked.  Every time I try to avoid
> carbs, I get shaky and weak.  I seem to also lose clear cognition at these
> times.  I'm wondering if maple syrup, (as something on the paleo list?),
> might provide me just enough natural carbs to halt the plummeting blood
> sugar.  What do you think?

First of all, paleo is not necessarily low carb. I for one am doing much
better having some carbs with my evening meal. I eat half a sweet potato,
yam or a turnip, and feel much better and cheat much less often. I am still
low carb compared to most people. I eat 60g of carbs or so per day, and it
keeps me out of ketosis which I do not tolerate well. For he longest time I
would be low carb paleo then binge, now I don't feel the need to binge. I
eat a bit of fruit but not more than one piece per day if that.

(Ray is not low carb. He talks about drinking fruit juice for example, in
Neanderthin. )

I would not try to do without carbs, I would eat a paleo moderate carb diet.
A bit of maple syrup occasionally is fine IMHO. I would not use it
regularly. Eat paleo tubers instead. Even better, give your body a chance to
adjust to high protein high fat. Tweak the diet to your own needs. But don't
think you have to swear off carbs altogether, because you don't have to in
order to be paleo.

--Richard

--Richard