From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 14:50:34 -0400
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Richard Keene wrote:

> I recently read the book "The Beak of the Finch" and
> it posits that evolution happens much faster that
> previously thought.  At least small gene drifting does.

Exactly.  This sort of scenario involves rapid selection of
favorable variations, but it is unknown whether the variations
were already present in the gene pool or entered it in the form
of mutations during the observation time.

> It seems to me that the adaption to agriculture are only two
> adaptions.
> 1. Lowering the allergic reaction to grains which is done
>     by raising the threshold of the immune system.

Or by learning to "recognize" proteins as "friendly."

> 2. Continue producing lactose after 3 years of
>     age so milk can be assimilated. (did I get that right?)

Yes, although lactose is only part of the problem.  The casein
protein falls into category 1.

> (3.) Possible lowering of the insulin response
>       to prevent excessive weight gain.

This is more likely a matter of increasing insulin sensitivity,
so that the hormone does its work more efficiently.

> Mutation 1 is not a radical change, it is just a
> small adjustment in a reaction that was already
> a little bit of both.

Well, this would involve a separate mutation for every foreign
protein; it can't be handled in a single step.

> Mutation 2 is again a small mutation to simply extend
> the period of milk tolerance beyond the usual three
> years to the whole life time.

Yes, this would be an example of neoteny.

> So are these both "small genetic changes" or
> are the "large" changes?

The changes themselves seem rather small, but the first group
could be rather numerous.

> Maybe the forces
> pushing toward agriculture, such as starvation, were
> very strong.

My guess is that agriculture increased both the birth rate and
the death rate, but the former more than the latter.  This would
still create strong pressure toward adaptation, though.

> This list tends to focus on individual case histories
> where someone has been cured of chronic problems
> by eating a Paleo diet.  Does any one have any cases
> of people that ate a highly agricultural diet and lived to be
> very old with no arthritis or other chronic problems?

It's interesting that the Georgia Centenarian Study showed
long-lived people eating plenty of grains and dairy. That's not
to say that they had no health problems, however.

Todd Moody