From:
Trish Tipton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:55:30 -0700
> >1)  Why did you choose the paleo plan?

My Dr recommended it to me actually.  I was on Atkins and he said he
liked what he called the Bible Diet better.  Your basic meat and veggies
with nuts and seeds with an occasional fruit.
I turned to Neanderthin and he agreed.

> >2)  How long have you been on a paleo diet?

Almost 2 years

> >3)  Which plan do you most closely follow

I follow a mix of Atkins and paleo.  My Dr disagrees on dairy, he says it
is bad bad bad,  I know this, but really enjoy it occasionally.

> >4)  What have been your results - health
> >improvements, weight loss, etc.

Well, it has helped my Graves Disease greatly!  I have recently been
diagnosed with diabetes, but I am not on insulin, My Dr says my diet
helps greatly with that.  I've never had high blood or high cholesterol,
but I have lost 82 pounds! 70 of which I gained in less than a year from
my thyroid Graves Disease. The loss was slow and steady.

> >5)  Did you have any addictions when you started
> >that were hard to kick; if
> >so, how did you do it  (cold turkey or slow
> >withdrawal)???

I adore chocolate, that was the hardest, but no chocolate has passed
these lips in 4 months! A very slow withdrawal.   I don't even miss it or
think about it anymore. I didn't realize how much I was addicted to diet
Pepsi!  That was a cold turkey for me.  The headaches I endured from the
lack of caffeine!  I love bread but no longer miss it.  In fact the smell
turns my stomach now.

> >6)  Are there any "paleo foods" which you exclude
> >from the diet because they
> >don't work for you?

The eating of raw beef,  I tried it, I liked it, but my family hated to
watch it!  So to keep the peace, I no longer enjoy the raw beef.
I know some of the members here enjoy foraging for road kill and such,
sorry, I just cant see the joy in that.

> >7)  Are there any "non-paleo foods" which you seem
> >to be able to handle in
> >small quantities while still maintaining your health
> >improvements, etc.?

coffee, cream from an organic dairy, fresh cheeses from the same dairy,
butter and nightshades. Also Splenda in small amounts.

> >8)  What is a typical paleo day for you?  (I'm
> >particularly interested in
> >what you all have for breakfast as I don't like
> >eggs)

Well, I do eat a lot of eggs, usually nuked in the microwave.  But I also
enjoy left over chicken, salmon, thinly sliced meats and fresh fruits. If
I do have fruit, it is only in the mornings and before I eat anything
else.
Lunches tend to be a lot of salads, boiled eggs, or what I call *meat
sandwiches*  2 meat patties with a basil leaf in between with a thin
slice of cheese.   Dinner is always a meat of some sort and 3-4 veggies
to choose from.

> >9)  Do you take any vitamins, supplements?

Yes, I take a daily multiple, Vit E, C and D and calcium.  I use flax
seed oil as a salad dressing.

> >10)  What about exercise?

I enjoy the art of belly dancing, walking, and weight training.  I also
coach and referee soccer.
I do not like running as a way of exercise, except when I am referring. I
find it boring.  I do love to dance and so does my hubby.