From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:10:23 -0500
Lurisia Dale wrote:

>"Fat and ketones can't optimally fuel anaerobic
>exercise because glucose is required. If you don't
>provide the glucose it will be taken from muscle mass
>via gluconeogenesis (simply the conversion of protein
>to carbs), and you will lose muscle. After a period of
>glucose depletion glycogen synthesis can almost
>double."

This isn't quite right.  You will lose muscle only if you take in
insufficient protein to make up for what is used in gluconeogenesis.

>Since you seem informed on this subject, let me ask
>your opinion on something:  What do you consider the
>best Paleo foods for anaerobic workouts?  My strategy
>is usually to load up on fruits, which works pretty
>well, but which (I hate to admit) still doesn't
>provide the same kind of energy I used to get when I
>ate complex carbs like brown rice.

Fruits wouldn't be the best, because fruit sugar is about half
fructose.  Those fast-twitch fibers need *glucose* not fructose.  That's
why the brown rice worked so well, because the starch breaks down almost
entirely to glucose.  Even sucrose is about half fructose.  So what you
want is probably a paleo starch.  Maybe sweet potatoes would do the trick.

Todd Moody