From:
Christel Belrichard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:08:00 -0800
When I was little and grew up in the country in Austria my brother and I
would walk behind a plow out in the fields and pick up all the earthworms,
pupas, grubs and what not and put them into buckets, take them home and
watch the chickens fight over them!  They are predators.  We did feed them
corn and such and food scraps, since their forage space was limited.  So
now I get eggs from the ranch where I board my horses and those chickens
free range over a hundred acres and never really get fed, they do have a hen
house which they go into at night, but other than that they are on their own
and eat everthing in sight.  Great eggs.  I couldn't buy storebought eggs
just for the thought of how the factory chickens lead such dismal lives, get
osteorporosis, etc.  There are farms up in Marine County were one can buy
eggs.

Christel