From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 04:47:16 -0700
Hi, Lurisia!

Have you looked at the recipes on the PaleoDiet page?

         http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/list/

It appears that arrowroot flour/starch is acceptable.  According to The Joy
of Cooking, by Rombauer,it is substituted for cornstarch 1 to 2--for every
Tablespoon of cornstarch, sub 1/2 Tablespoon or 1-1/2 teaspoons arrowroot
flour.  To thicken 1 cup of liquid, use 2-1/2 teaspoons arrowroot.

Be aware that it does not need to be cooked to remove any raw taste like
other thickeners do.  It does not hold the thickening for very long, and it
does not reheat well.  Cook at a lower temperature than for cornstarch and
serve within 10 minutes.  Arrowroot supposedly alkalinizes where grains
acidify the body in the digestion process.

Jane
Tucson, AZ  USA