From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:03:17 EDT
I have often read that heavier women do better after menopause.  But if this
is true, why do Japanese women suffer less than American women during
menopause (they do not even have a word for hot flash) even though they are
MUCH slimmer on average than American women?    My guess is that the
phytoestrogens in their diet work in a similar fashion to the estrogens
stored in heavier American women's fat.  Also, even if heavier women fare
better during menopause, that extra weight certainly doesn't help their
hearts or cancer risks post-menopause.  I do not understand why a slim paleo
woman could not sail through menopause given 1) the phytoestrogens from her
diet via vegetables and 2) her stable insulin levels.