From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:16:53 -0500
Amadeus Schmidt writes:

>> Half-plant/half-animal hybrids that
>>look like chickens or cows but have roots rather than feet? It's every
>>vegetarian's--probably even a few compassionate non-vegetarians'--worst
>>nightmare come true. And it could all happen soon thanks to
>>out-of-control biotech corporations if this report is to be believed.
>
>Ward, this is in the humor section, isn't it ("Back to Humor & Satire")?
>
>I confess, many years ago i thought it to be a goal, if "meat" could
>be "grown" in some sort of cultures handing at a supply of some sort
>(like apple-tree roots).

Yes, the article is a spoof. It's labeled as a hoax right at the top of the
article. However, it's also intended to encourage people to think about
these issues by the use of the humor. I considered releasing it unmarked to
let people draw their own conclusions as to whether it was real or not, but
was talked out of that, as the introductory blurb says, by "wiser heads."
There have already been indications, though, that even as a dead-giveaway
hoax it is worrying some people. "Too close to reality for comfort" or "way
too scary to contemplate" have been the phrases.

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>