From:
Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:13:33 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:

> Well, cooked meat doesn't contain vitamin C, unlike raw meats. Plus, cooking reduces the nutrients in raw meats, in a sliding scale where boiling meats annihilates the enzymes and bacteria along with some of the vitamins and minerals, while harsher cooking methods do much worse damage.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea that overcooked meats have less
nutrients available. I just don't see why this then becomes a raw vs
cooked argument, ie ALL cooking is bad.

> Re Stefansson/Bellevue Experiment:- I generally wince every time Stefansson is mentioned as  a supposed authority on diet. For one thing, many things he states or claims are contradicted by other anthropologists such as Weston-Price(eg:- re the issue of organ-meats), plus he was famously condemned as a fraud for his other theory re the so-called "Blond Eskimoes" in Greenland, at one point.

I don't think Stef is an authority on diet at all. He related his
experience with the particular Inuit he spent time with - not ALL Inuit.
Their diets naturally differed depending on where they lived. The ones
he lived with (Mackenzie) did eat some organ meat, but not a ton. Other
peoples in other areas ate more, or less, or had different attitudes
about them. Anyway, I agree the man was hardly perfect (he was extremely
arrogant). Doesn't discount his experience entirely though, does it?

> More to the point, Stefansson is actually described as eating at least some raw meats during his Belluevue experiment(namely raw marrow), and didn't always eat his meats well-done, but sometimes rare. And the experiment lasted only 1 lousy year, and, after a while wasn't even rigorously supervised.

So perhaps then even a little bit of raw/undercooked meat does the
trick? Until we see a study comparing a cooked meat/fat diet to a raw
meat/fat diet, we can't really say with any authority. Nor can we say
that 'cooking' is the problem...perhaps rare, or even med-rare retains
enough and/or keeps what it does contain bio-available. We simply don't
have the data (or at least I don't, but if you do I would be really
interested in seeing it). And does this apply to all flesh foods, or
merely ruminants? What about fish? Poultry? etc etc.

> As regards malnutrition, there are some raw vegans who don't even show b12-deficiency until many years later, as the body finds ways to conserve b12-levels from other sources etc.
Point taken. Other deficiency diseases, such as scurvey, can show up
rapidly, sometimes in a matter of weeks. Depends. (And yes, I know that
scurvey was often cured with raw meat)